How to Start Lifting Weights
Weight lifting tips for beginners Step by Step
1. Warm up - Some aerobic activity, such as a 5-minute jog or brisk walk, will increase blood flow to your muscles and prime them for a good workout.
2. Start with lighter weights - You want to start with a weight that you can lift 10 to 15 times with proper form.
3. Gradually increase the weight - When you can easily do the recommended number of sets and reps, increase the weight by 5 to 10 percent.
4. Rest for at least 60 seconds in between sets - This helps prevent muscle fatigue, especially as you start out.
5. Limit your workout to no longer than 45 minutes. You can get the workout you need in this time frame.
6. Gently stretch your muscles after your workout - Stretching can help boost your flexibility, ease muscle tension, and reduce your risk of injury.
7. Rest a day or two in between workouts - Resting gives your muscles time to recover and replenish energy stores before your next workout.